Drew of West Penwith and Beyond

A meeting place for researchers of the Drew family of West Penwith and Redruth areas, and their associated families. If you have come across this site during searches for Drew family history, and you feel you might be connected, please contact one of the members to have your name added to the members list.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sunday Arvo Thoughts

The .pdf file of the compilation of all the bits and pieces I have 'scrounged' from you all is about to roll off the computer, and will be sent out tomorrow. I have gone cross-eyed doing the sanity check on it, so there might be the odd error here and there. To save file size, I am leaving off the sources and name index. I have reduced font sizes a bit (not too much) to get it under 100 A4 pages. It will contain the details of living persons, so is for our private use only.

I have been digging around in Gencircles a little, and have identified one individual who appears to have bits of our line - he has James White Trewhella (well, he actually has Trewheela, but we know what he means) DREW. He has Grenfell and Nicholls names aplenty. His name is Adrian Eddy - has anybody come across him before? He has a website - http://www.eddyfamily.co.uk/

I must be getting old. Was wondering why Thelma hadn't joined in, so finally had the gumption to look at my list of invitees and, to my dismay, I discovered that I hadn't sent her an invitation. Feeling very sheepish. Now rectified.

Monday morning (East Oz time): I see that she has very swiftly responded (see list at top right). The .pdf file of Robert Drew Descendants has just been sent out to everybody.

Tuesday night: A few glitches with the .pdf file, nothing major. Some of the notes from Linda's on-line .ged file have not transferred over properly, and I am tidying that up at the moment. Somehow, a Jane Harvey was described as being on the 1871 census as a housekeeper, despite being 3 years old at the time. Wrong Jane Harvey. Am also checking out FreeBMD as I go through it, and am adding in some dates and possibles. Like one Drew chap, Francis, who had a wife Louisa UNKNOWN - FreeBMD suggests that possibly Louisa is his 1st cousin, Louisa DREW. That sort of thing.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:44 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    Kathryn tells me that she has had contact with Adrian, with special reference to the Boyns names.

     
  • At 3:54 am, Blogger Mary said…

    Hello Geoff,

    Thanks for your invitation to join. I hope that my contribution will be posted successfully as it is all new stuff for me! I think you have done splendid work.

    I too have been musing recently over Robert Drew or Lawry born at Penzance in 1772. He must surely have lived in the Helston area under the name of Drew around 1800 because he married Mary Bosisto there in 1801 under the name Drew, and their first son James Drew was baptised under the name Drew at Helston on 14 February 1802. From your research, I see that Bennett Drew of Creed married Jenifer Tallack at Mylor in 1792 and in Phillimore's Marriage Register he is listed as Bennett Drew of Helston (Widower). So did young Robert live with or near his natural father's brother, Bennett in Helston? Then there is the enigma of why when Robert and Mary moved to live in Penzance they had their sons William and George baptised at St. Mary's Church, Penzance under the surname Lawry on 10 April 1803 and 17 February 1805 respectively. However, when their children Sophia and John were baptised at St. Mary's on 30 September 1807 and 29 October 1809 respectively, they were baptised there under the surname Drew. John was buried under the name Drew at Paul on 3 September 1811 and Mary and Sally were baptised at Paul on 2 September 1812 and 4 March 1815 respectively. From then on according to census details and burial records the family was always known as Drew. I ask myself why when Robert returned to live in Penzance in the years between 1802/03 and 1805/06 he was using the name Lawry only to change it from 1806 onwards in Penzance and later in Mousehole/Paul back to Drew. Maybe he did not want to use the surname Drew to cause problems with his natural father who may well have still been alive and residing in Penzance during those years.

    I would be interested to learn your views on the above enigma.

    Kind regards,

    Mary

     
  • At 9:13 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    I wasn't fully aware of all the swapping of name between Robert Drew and Robert Lawry. It's unfortunate that all that happened before the 1831 census. I'm sure we can all collaborate to work it out.

    All these Bennett names caused some confusion for Chris and I for a while, especially with two Bennett Drew married to Jennifer - Tallack in one case and Williams in the other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home