Drew of West Penwith and Beyond

A meeting place for researchers of the Drew family of West Penwith and Redruth areas, and their associated families. If you have come across this site during searches for Drew family history, and you feel you might be connected, please contact one of the members to have your name added to the members list.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Alfred Drew, b.1887

You might remember a while back, there was discussion of Alfred and Ernest DREW and some odd entries in the 1891 and 1901 Census. Well, a comment has drifted through to that post, from loopsadaisy1:

"Hi, I have an original oil painting by Alfred Drew, just wondered if he was a relative of yours? The painting is of "Newlyn Old Quay"; please contact me as I am interested to find out more about this picture, thankyou"

Unfortunately, I have as yet been unable to find contact details for loopsadaisy1. So, if you read this, please contact me through the email address you should find somewhere in my Profile.

Does anyone know if 'our' Alfred, or his son, Alfred James, were artists? Newlyn School, perhaps? I will look into it, anyway. There have been paintings on eBay by an Alfred Drew, with a tentative identification as "Newlyn School", but 'our' Alfred would have been a bit young to be part of that movement, and no Drew is listed that I can find as being an 'official member'. Influenced by the Newlyn School, perhaps?


OK - Went into the cached eBay site, and found this:

Alfred Drew (d 2002)

Cornish artist

A dramatic study of life aboard ship in heavy seas! Alfred Drew was a Penzance, Cornwall based artist.

Watercolour/bodycolour on paper.

"I finally gave up going to sea in the 1960's and managed to quell my wanderlust by painting my sea memories on canvas. I eventually painted Landscapes as well as Maritime scenes and taught art to local students for many years..." - Alfred Drew - A Cornish Painter, Passed away 2002

Signed lower right.

So not Alfred b.1887, then.

I also found this link: http://www.frames.uk.com/alfred.htm which shows some of his paintings. The life story fits fairly well for someone born in 1915, so possibly Alfred James? Jayne, is this your Grandad?

9 Comments:

  • At 12:18 am, Blogger Jayne said…

    It's been a while since i've logged onto the site as i've been moving house & job - hence the delay in getting back to you - the artist Alfred Douglas Drew was my grandfather's cousin. He was the son of Sydney Drew & Marion Triggs. While on the subject of Alfred, Ernest & Sydney (the three sons of Elizabeth Ellen Drew) i sent for all the birth certificates and the father's name is left blank on all three so i think we may never know the answer to that little mystery...

     
  • At 10:49 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    Well, I was close!

     
  • At 1:46 am, Blogger dilinger said…

    i also have a painting from alfred d drew, is his paintings worth anything

     
  • At 8:58 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    Well,I suppose it'd be worth something, but just how much depends on the quality and subject of the painting, as well as how much the purchaser desires to possess it.

     
  • At 9:04 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    If you go to
    http://www.age-net.co.uk/Arts/art_gallery/alfredDrew_files/index.asp
    you will get an idea of the prices Alfred Drew's paintings.

     
  • At 3:11 am, Blogger dilinger said…

    this painting has been in my family for about 20yrs, ive tryed the sites you said but have had no luck.

     
  • At 9:19 am, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    You might just have to take it to an art dealer for a valuation, then. I really have no idea as to his popularity as an artist.

     
  • At 1:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    alfred drew, known to us as douggie was my uncle. he married my blood aunt.he was a great man,and artist, mmy aunty obviously knows more about his family history than me but i do know his paintings are worth a bit. i will tell my aunt of this site maybe she will take a look and add some info if anyone is still interested

     
  • At 2:18 pm, Blogger Geoff_D said…

    Your aunty would be most welcome to share what she knows.

    This is still "alive", and I will be putting some more stuff in now that I am recovering from the nasty affliction and its treatment.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home