Drew of West Penwith and Beyond

A meeting place for researchers of the Drew family of West Penwith and Redruth areas, and their associated families. If you have come across this site during searches for Drew family history, and you feel you might be connected, please contact one of the members to have your name added to the members list.

Monday, November 12, 2007

Retirement and Other Things

Well, folks, I am two weeks into retirement and still feeling that I am just slacking off. Hasn't truly 'sunk in' yet.

The EARLY Family, of around Newton Abbott

I know, it is well outside West Penwith's ambit, but there's been a little brick wall that has been bothering me. Great-uncle Frederick William DREW married Florence Annie EARLY, daughter of George EARLY. Now, off on a twig of Mum's side of the family we have:
My Great-grandfather John TUCKER (of Wilts.) first married Ellen MAUNDRELL (from whom I am not descended). Ellen's brother Samuel MAUNDRELL migrated to Australia with his wife and first child, Elizabeth Ellen, known as 'Nellie'. She married Frank George EARLY.

I have long wondered whether there was any connection between Frank George and George. The local Historical Society (located in Early Street, named for George's family) could not help, neither could the descendants of Florence Annie or any of her siblings. Then, the other day, I was looking at SmartMatches on GenCircles, and I saw Florence Annie's name pop up. The tree that included her had enough clues for me to go looking through the Devon Census, and it appears that Frank George was the nephew of George by virtue of being the son of Richard Dewdney EARLY, older brother to George EARLY.

It seems that a fair few of them migrated to Queensland, including the parents of George and Richard, during the 1880s.

So, that's one more little mystery sorted out. Just goes to show that you should never stop looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home