Drew of West Penwith and Beyond

A meeting place for researchers of the Drew family of West Penwith and Redruth areas, and their associated families. If you have come across this site during searches for Drew family history, and you feel you might be connected, please contact one of the members to have your name added to the members list.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Congratulations, Gertrude! 100 not out.

Longevity is a patchy thing with the Drew mob, with some living to ripe old ages and others shuffling off the mortal coil far too early. This, from Colin this morning:


"I am attaching a photo from last weeks "Cornishman" of Gertrude Drew on her 100th birthday. I didn't know of her until I saw it in the paper, so I intended to speak to her last night when I was there with the Newlyn Male Choir, (we were there to sing carols for them). But by the time we arrived she had gone to bed.
Anyway I dropped in there this afternoon and had a short chat with her, it was pretty hard going as she is very deaf. In the end I left her a printout of the tree so far, with my contact details to give to her son when he visits. When I have a chance to talk to him I will update my tree and let you have a copy. I know that you are eager to find another descendant still with the name of Drew, well Gertrude had three brothers, so if any of those have male offspring we may be in with a chance.

Just to let you know where Gertie fits in. From the top, first names only.
Robert 1655
Edward 1685
Benitt 1719
Robert 1739
William 1767
Bennet 1809
George 1836
Joseph Henry 1870
Gertrude 1907"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What a wonderful old lady she is! We await more news, Colin.

Oh, and Gertude is my Fifth Cousin.

A Thought: Let's get behind Gertie and post Birthday Wishes to The Cornishman's web page. Click on the following link and let Cornwall know we are thinking of her.

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=146868&command=displayContent&sourceNode=146861&contentPK=19171596&folderPk=83306&pNodeId=253021

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home